Self care is a loaded term and means different things to different people. I’m going to be honest, I used to kind of abuse the term self care, and use it as an excuse to “treat myself.” I’ve found there’s a healthier way to treat myself, in addition to my self care’s strong connection to loving my body. It doesn’t mean if I practice self care, I’m loving my body and everything’s perfect. It means when I practice self care, I’m doing positive things for myself and my body and ultimately continuing to build a strong relationship with myself and my body.
Here’s how I see it; we take care of our bodies by practicing self care, which ultimately helps us work toward loving our bodies. So, self care should be a practice of doing positive things that make our bodies feel good, right? Here are my favorite ways to practice it (aside from the easy ones; working out and hanging out with friends/family!):
- Bubble baths. Okay, if you follow me on Instagram, you know I love my bubble baths. They are so soothing and relaxing, and I love taking 30 minutes to an hour to myself to just decompress. If you don’t take them, you should think about it! We’re all always in a rush to take a shower or move on to the next thing, but baths allow me to slow down and really unwind. They are one of my FAVORITE self care practices.
- Doing cleansing face masks. I love grabbing face masks whenever I’m at a convenient store, because every once in a while they are nice to unwind at the end of a long day with. They truly deep clean my face and skin, and leave me feeling super refreshed and relaxed.
- Nights in to myself. Taking a night in to myself to relax is a huge way I can really connect to myself and my body. Sometimes it’s with a glass of wine, my favorite meal, or even no alcohol at all. It’s whatever my body needs at the time, but it’s important time that I cherish as part of my self care routine.
- Getting massages. If you know me, you know I love getting back or full body massages. I just love them! And with all the exercise and movement I’m getting in, I find them so important to working out the kinks (literally). Massages can be expensive I know, but I’m always looking for deals – either at local massage places, on Groupon, etc. And these don’t have to be super regular, but getting one every once in a while is a nice way to treat yourself and your body!
- Taking my makeup off and washing my face. At the end of every day, it’s so important to me to take my makeup off and wash my face. Not going to lie, there are days where it gets skipped, but it is such a priority in my self care regimen. Cleansing my skin and keeping it clean is a huge part of keeping myself feeling good, so it’s a small, yet important thing to me.
Did you like this list, and are you more mindful of how self care impacts your body love? Tell me how you like to practice self care in the comments!